An American in Toronto

In Which I Take the Plunge with Devoted Husband and Baby Boy and Have Marvelous Adventures North of the Border

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Toronto Turkey Time

So, yesterday was Thanksgiving here in Canada, which we really didn't celebrate. It just didn't feel right, especially since U.S. Thanksgiving (aka "Real Thanksgiving" - although, I guess the first Canadian Thanksgiving was in 1579 in Newfoundland, but I'm going to choose to ignore that) is my favorite holiday. It just felt like I was cheating on my beloved Thanksgiving with its Macy's Parade, Chicken in a Biscuit crackers and cranberry sauce shaped like the can. On the other hand, there is no way that I'm going to look a gift holiday in the mouth. It could have been National Slug Appreciation Day and if I got the day off, I'd be front and center in the annual Slug Days Parade. Instead we decided to go to the Mandarin Chinese buffet for lunch. It was not a completely out of left field choice as it is currently the Chinese Moon Festival, the Chinese Harvest Festival. I was pretty excited to have some moon cake and roast suckling pig, or actually just to see a roast suckling pig, but I was sorely disappointed to not get either at Mandarin. We also had a wait forever for The Boy to get his high-chair. Poop. But yes, freyapup, there is a Halloween. And yes, it is on the same day as it is everywhere in the world. A CANADIAN FACT! The first Canadian Thanksgiving was celebrated on April 15, 1872 in thanks for the recovery of the future King Edward VII from a serious illness. In 1879, Parliament declared November 6th a day of Thanksgiving and a national Canadian holiday. Over the years many dates were used for Thanksgiving, the most popular was the 3rd Monday in October...Finally, on January 31st, 1957, the Canadian Parliament proclaimed... "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed ... to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October." (Wikipedia)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home