An American in Toronto

In Which I Take the Plunge with Devoted Husband and Baby Boy and Have Marvelous Adventures North of the Border

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

In Theatres in 2007

So, I'm walking home the other day and I notice that there is a lot of work going on in the less pleasant areas of the neighborhood near the studio. I was quite pleased because the neighborhood needs a little sprucing up and could use a fresh coat of paint to tidy it up a bit. Cut to yesterday, when again I'm walking home from work and I notice two things. One, the sprucing up consists of paper bricks pasted over the crappy brickwork of the existing buildings. Hmmm. That doesn't seem like any Urban Renewal program that I've ever heard of. What, did that cost the city $2.45? And two, there was a person on a forklift painting a mural on the side of another building. He was writing the word, "Baltimore" when it hit me. They're making the area look like Baltimore for the new Hairspray movie musical. Oooooh, that makes sense. I had heard that John Travolta and Queen Latifa were shooting some scenes a few blocks away from my house, so now it all fits together. Well, it turns out that DH knew way more about this shoot and I could've even guessed. Apparently, the buildings are supposed to be the main character's neighborhood in the movie and they will be shooting day and night, including dance sequences in the middle of the street. I wonder how they will manage to pull this off since it is a neighborhood where people live and work and, allegedly, according to my co-worker, Miss Bella, smoke crystal meth. At any rate, I hope to get some pics taken soon. A HAIRSPRAY FACT! Hairspray's Broadway incarnation won eight Tony Awards in 2003, including best musical, best lead actor and actress in a musical and best original score.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home