An American in Toronto

In Which I Take the Plunge with Devoted Husband and Baby Boy and Have Marvelous Adventures North of the Border

Friday, August 18, 2006

Toronto Crime Blotter

So, The Boy and I were walking to the store after I picked him up from day care yesterday. We had just passed the front door of a LCBO Liquor Store and just then I hear a man yelling "You're under arrest! Call 911!" The man, an LCBO employee, had jumped on the back of another man, who was, I guess, under arrest. The LCBO employee was pounding on the guy and yelling at his co-worker to call the police. As LCBO guy was trying to subdue the Accused, another guy in a grey hooded sweatshirt jumped off his bike and entered the fray. Now there is a group of four people, LCBO guy, his co-worker with the phone, Accused guy and Hoodie, wrestling on the sidewalk in front of the liquor store. I didn't stay long enough for the cops to get there, but I probably stayed a lot longer than I should have. I don't know if LCBO employees can legally perform citizens' arrests. I mean, technically, since the LCBO is a government-owned liquor store (as all liquor stores in Ontario are), the the employees are, technically, government employees. Maybe, a stretch perhaps. The LCBO website says that they try to prevent minors and intoxicated persons from buying alcohol, but it doesn't say anything about beating the crap out of a guy. But, not to worry, The Boy and I are ok and we made it to the grocery store in one piece. A CANADIAN FACT! As per the LCBO website, "The LCBO is the largest single purchaser of beverage alcohol in the world and one of the largest retailers, buying wine, spirits and beer from 67 countries for Ontario consumers and licensees."

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home