An American in Toronto

In Which I Take the Plunge with Devoted Husband and Baby Boy and Have Marvelous Adventures North of the Border

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Weird Canada

I'll take a brief break from my week-long tribute to my Toronto Likes and Dislikes to describe some of the weirder things I've seen since my move. Canada doesn't get enough credit for it's weirdness - or it's eccentricity, as it were. I mean, take curling. it is estimated that there are about 1.3 million curlers in Canada, which makes up about 94% of the curlers in the world. When I first moved here, during the Winter Olympics, every curling match was broadcast and then re-broadcast in case you missed it the first time. Curling is, quite frankly, odd and I just can't get my head around it. I was watching a TV sitcom recently and half of the jokes were based upon the viewers knowledge of curling and I could do nothing but stare blankly. Other Weirdness I've seen... ...a woman who walks her Siamese cat on a leash. I don't know how she does this. I know people do it, but as a cat owner, I can't keep my cat in my arms for two minutes, much less strap her into a leash. ...a house in which the front was entirely covered in stuffed animals. When I saw it my mouth actually dropped open. I wish I had a camera. I'll have to go back and get a picture. I can only assume that an insane person lives within. ...training streetcars and buses. I'll admit, this isn't really weird. More cute than anything. You know that it's a training bus because it has "TRAINING" in the spot where they usually put the destination. I guess if you are going to learn how to drive a bus or streetcar, you should have a training vehicle, just like student drivers do. ...poutine. I'm sure Poutine is beloved amongst native Canadians, but I'm not going to touch with with a 10 Foot (or Meter or Metre) pole. Poutine is a delicacy consisting or french fries topped with fresh cheese curds and covered with hot gravy. Hmmm. No thanks. I enjoy my arteries as they are.

2 Comments:

  • At 7/19/2006 04:11:00 PM, Blogger Sundry said…

    Poutine? Poutine? Wherefore are thou Poutine?

    I think I may name my next car Poutine. (My current car's name is POTUS, because she's at least as smart as the actual commander in chief, and more fuel efficient.

     
  • At 7/21/2006 08:42:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    freyapup, you'll have to tell me how to follow curling. I am at a loss.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home