An American in Toronto

In Which I Take the Plunge with Devoted Husband and Baby Boy and Have Marvelous Adventures North of the Border

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Baby's Day Out

Hey all! When my mom came to visit when I first moved to Toronto, the weather was less than stellar. But we both agreed that when summer arrived, it would be the best city to walk around and the past weekend proved that we were right. It was a beautiful weekend with temps in the 80s. I wanted a pedicure, but I was too late to get an appointment in. Next week, though: Pedicure City! The Fambly also went to The Tulip, a local diner, for lunch on Saturday. The Tulip has been a Toronto Beaches mainstay since 1929 and, it's been said, a great place for a cheap, quality steak. Devoted Husband agreed and it turns out it just may be the first Toronto restaurant that he would like to revisit. Plus, it's near our house. As I was sitting eating my lunch, I looked out the window onto Queen Street and saw people walking around and the streetcars bopping along and I felt really good about the move. I felt like I was really part of the city. I hope everyone had a lovely holiday weekend. As it turns out, I wound up having an unexpected holiday weekend myself. Baby Boy's daycare was closed on Monday and so I decided to "work from home" but mostly I decided to take care of some things that I didn't get to over the weekend. BB and I went to Winners (Canada's Marshalls), Zeller's (Canada's Target) and Payless Shoes (Canada's Payless Shoes) because BB had lost one of his shoes and needed replacement footwear. After much searching, we got a pair of sandals and some sneakers that looked like little cars. I had to have BB try them on and run around the store to see if they fit. He got closer to the security beepers when I stopped him. The store clerk said it was okay and BB proceeded to run back and forth setting the beepers off and making it sound like there was a mass theft of shoes going on at the Payless. After our successful shoe purchase, we decided to go to lunch, but BB fell asleep on the way. But, that didn't stop me. I ate my lunch in quiet and got to read my book. Later that day, we went to the park and a good time was had by all. As we were leaving, a Japanese man came up to me and asked me if he could ask me two questions. Well, how was I going to pass that up? So, I said sure. The two questions? 1. What's a good way I could learn English? 2. What is an invention? My answers? 1. Watch a lot of TV, especially soap operas. 2. Wha? What do you mean? Something you create, I guess. Brilliant, eh? He told me that he had to ask these questions to 100 people as part of a homework assignment. He then made me sign the page with my questions and he went on his way. I was glad to help. A CANADIAN FACT! The average Canadian eats 61.26 Kg (134.77 lbs) of red meat annually. There must be someone out there that is eating way more than their fair share to make up for vegetarians.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/30/2006 06:29:00 PM, Blogger Arhythmius said…

    I wonder how many people answered Question 1 with: "How about an English class that does not require you to solicit answers from random people on the street?"

    'Cause, you know, that's what I would have said...and not to be sarcastic, either. (Well, not JUST to be sarcastic.)

     
  • At 6/01/2006 11:01:00 AM, Blogger Sundry said…

    This is just too much synchronicity for me to handle.

    Yesterday a friend sent me the very link you could have referred this man to. If you see him again, tell him to go to:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-QNWpJaiY0

     

Post a Comment

<< Home