An American in Toronto

In Which I Take the Plunge with Devoted Husband and Baby Boy and Have Marvelous Adventures North of the Border

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Our First Month

It's been one month since the fateful night that we arrived in Toronto for good. And oddly enough, there has been more snow in the town that we just left than here in the Great White North. My friend "Sundry" (who herself has an awesome blog Any Given Sundry) took this picture near her home, just a little bit north of my old stomping grounds. In other news, Toronto is currently enjoying the highest temps in years. It IS super windy though. Here are some odds and ends that I've learned from my past 30 days in T.O.: There aren't any parking meters as such. There are machines that you can put coins in or use your credit card or ATM card to pay for street parking. That's pretty neat. When you put your money in, you get a little slip of paper to put in your windshield. If you come back and have some time left over, you can then give the slip to some nice family with an adorable Baby Boy and then the nice family can park for free. Oh, it's true! It happened to me. Believe it! There are these little cars called Smart Cars. They are wee little cars that can tool around the city and they are adorable. They are so tiny that they can park front-first into a parking space on the street and still only stick out as much as regular size car. I love 'em. It's weird to see really familiar items that are just a little bit different. For instance: Oreos. Eveyone knows Oreos. Yummy cookie, right? Well, in Canada they are manufactured by a company called Christie. And on the package it says, "Mr. Christie, you make a good cookie." Who's this "Mr. Christie?" What about Nabisco? I'm so confused. And they have all these weird Kit-Kat candy bars with peanut butter in them. Or orange or banana flavor Kit-Kats. Or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups with caramel in them. Or Aero bars with yogurt in them (!). These Canadians do love their candy that's for sure. There are three candy shops within walking distance from my house. It also makes me think that the US has been focusing so much on deep-frying technology involving Twinkies and Snickers bars and whatnot, that we've dropped the ball on chocolate advancements. Speaking of which... A CANADIAN FACT! The most popular candy bar in Canada is Coffee Crisp. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

  • At 3/16/2006 05:32:00 PM, Blogger Sundry said…

    Gee, I thought you were kidding when you said you wanted to use my photo. I'm honored.

    I would be in SO much trouble with the candy stores. I can hear myself saying to myself that I wouldn't be completely acclimated to Canada until I'd tried each and every variation on the chocolate.

     
  • At 3/17/2006 02:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great blog! So interesting to learn these little tidbits about Canada. Who knew! Those little Smart Cars are so neat...I want one! Hope you keep blogging!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home