An American in Toronto

In Which I Take the Plunge with Devoted Husband and Baby Boy and Have Marvelous Adventures North of the Border

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Easter Continued

I'd thought that I'd give a little idea of how a Canadian Easter goes. Mostly, it's the same as in the U.S., but there are differences. For one, everything is closed on Good Friday, as well as, Easter. In fact, it's actually a long weekend, Friday through Easter Monday. Saturday, however, is the day that everyone gets out of the house to get their holiday materials. This past Saturday was beautiful and Baby Boy and I went out to run our own errands. The streets were quite crowded and bustling. Last Thursday, the weather was so nice I wanted us to go out to dinner and take advantage of it. So, we went to The Magic Oven, which serves organic and vegetarian pizzas, salads and sandwiches. I had a delicious Greek Salad and DH had a pizza with organic Italian sausage, which he liked as well. On Easter Sunday, we managed to find an open restaurant that wasn't swamped and had a high chair. And that restaurant was...Philthy McNasty's! It's actually a sports bar. A kid-friendly sports bar. Each booth has its own TV on the table and the server was very good and took good care of us. We also had a coupon for a free entree, so that was good too. I had no intention of going to Philthy McNasty's when I woke up that morning, but it turned out to be a fun time. Recently, Devoted Husband and I were talking about even though we live in the middle of a huge city, we feel a real sense of a community in the area where we live, much more so than when we lived in California. When we go to the park or walk into the shops on the Danforth or just go to our local grocery store, there is a real feeling of living in a neighborhood. I really like it. The other thing that DH wanted me to bring up is the weird habit that a lot of restaurants have of serving cans of soda, rather than glasses of soda (by the way, it's "pop" up here, not "soda") - therefore, no refills. On the other hand, you get a much larger selection of drinks with the cans. So, there you go. What's the American Reading? I just finished, Fugitives and Refugees : A Walk in Portland, Oregon by Chuck Palahniuk, the author of Fight Club. It's a fabulous book about tons of weird places and things to do in Portland, Oregon. It really makes me want to visit, but I don't think I'll be going anywhere for a time. A CANADIAN FACT! Celebrity impersonators love Shania Twain. No other Canadian performer—male or female—has attracted as many impersonators.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home