An American in Toronto

In Which I Take the Plunge with Devoted Husband and Baby Boy and Have Marvelous Adventures North of the Border

Friday, March 31, 2006

Peeps Primavera

First of all, I would like to wish a big, fat Happy Birthday to my little brother, "Weethy," who turns the big 3-0 today! Here's a picture of him with his dog Koa. Personally, I liked my 30th. Such a nice, round number for an age. Anyway, think a good thought today for Weethy as he enters his third decade. The weather here is a delightful 45 F (7 C) and it really feels like Spring. One of the things I really missed while living in Southern California were the seasons. Everyone who moves to So Cal says this. Sunshine is wonderful most of the time, but a little variety is nice too. There's a sense of achievement when you don't have to bundle up all the time. Easter is also coming up and for me that means one thing: Marshmallow Peeps. Specifically, it means Peep-a-palooza. I started Peep-a-palooza in my office in 2003 when I heard that you can put Marshmallow Peeps in the microwave and they blow up to enormous sizes and mutate into blobs. (View it for yourself.) Then, when you take the Peeps out, they shrink up and harden and taste like a toasted marshmallow. DELICIOUS! So, every year, around Easter, I wear my traditional Peep t-shirt and blow up some Peeps real good! This year, I can't seem to find any Peeps in any local stores. Now, the Peeps website says that Peeps are sold in Canada. In fact, Canada is Just Born's (the company that makes Peeps) largest international market. But I can't seem to find any. I sent an email to Just Born and, hopefully, I will get a response in time. It just won't be the same without my traditional mutilation of candy chickens and bunnies. A PEEP FACT! In 1953, it took 27 hours to create one Peep. Today, it takes six minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home