An American in Toronto

In Which I Take the Plunge with Devoted Husband and Baby Boy and Have Marvelous Adventures North of the Border

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Brush With Death at the Grocery Store

OK. I'll tell you guys this, but don't judge me. Alright, so I'm at the No Frills to pick up some diapers, baby wipes and a frozen pizza (by the way, DiGiorno pizza in the U.S. is known as Delissio in Canada, which I like better, but I digress). So, I get my cart. Carts here in the city have a little coin slot in which you have to put a quarter in to release the cart. When you return the cart, you get your quarter back. It's to prevent people from just making off with the carts. I've learned to always keep a quarter in my car ashtray. Well, the actual shopping trip was pretty uneventful and I got all that I needed. I managed to avoid the guy selling baskets in the parking lot and I got to my car with no problem. That's when danger struck! I turned away from the cart to put Baby Boy in his car seat. I then started to hear a horn honking. I foolishly chose to ignore it. When BB was all strapped in, I turned back to the cart and SURPRISE! the cart wasn't there. It, in fact, had rolled all the way over to the No Frills gas station and ran into a gas tanker truck. The horn was coming from a pickup truck and I thanked him, despite the fact that I completely ignored him. I then ran across the parking lot before a roving band of squirrels could steal my pizza. I was pretty embarrassed. But at least BB wasn't in the cart. That would have been pretty bad. But, he wasn't in the cart, so no problem, right? Please say that's no problem. A CANADIAN FACT! The average Canadian eats about 10 1/2 kilos (or just over 23 pounds) of pizza per person, per year.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home