An American in Toronto

In Which I Take the Plunge with Devoted Husband and Baby Boy and Have Marvelous Adventures North of the Border

Monday, January 30, 2006

Pleased to meet you, Toronto

After many months of waiting, we actually arrived in Toronto. It's a lovely city. A little smaller than I thought, not as cold as I thought and very, very nice. The major goal for this trip was to wrangle an apartment for the actual permanent move on February 15th. The flight itself was a little strange as we flew on El Al, the Israeli airline. Everything was in Hebrew and they really don't have much of a sense of humor. They also made us buy a ticket for Baby Boy for the privilege of sitting on our laps. We did get a certified Kosher meal which wasn't too bad. To get ANY meal on a flight is a treat these days, so we were happy to have it. When we landed, we breezed through Customs. We then headed toward Immigration. I was terrified that I would be brought to a dark room with a single, swinging lightbulb and browbeaten within an inch of my life. But, the Immigration officer was (no surprise) very nice and he quickly processed our work papers. I have waited longer for a table at The Cheesecake Factory than I waited to get my Canadian work permits. When we finally got to the hotel (after missing the shuttle and grabbing a cab - a cab which had a hockey game on the radio, of course!) it was very late. The front desk clerk did not understand the concept of Priceline and insisted that I give them another credit card. I was so tired that maybe, I was just a teeny bit short with her. But, all was well by the morning. We then enjoyed a "Pizza, Pizza" pizza and watched Canadian television which is remarkably similar to US television. Stay tuned for the thrilling first look at my new office and Toronto, itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home